When you give the gift of a quilt, the label on the back of the quilt can be a great way to pass on both information and sentiment to your recipient. But it can be hard to find just the right words to use!
Below you will find loads of inspiration for what to say on your quilt label to make sure they understand just how much love was wrapped into making their quilt.
Whether you are looking for quilt sayings or poems for a new baby, a graduation or another special occasion I hope you will find the perfect idea below.
If you need help with how to actually create and attach your label to your quilt, check out my other post – 8 Ways to Label your Quilts and Why you Should – it gives you loads of options for how to make a quilt label!
Table of contents
- Important Information to Include on a Quilt Label
- Quilt Sayings for Different Occasions
- More Inspiration Ideas for your Quilt Labels
- Where to find instructions on how to make a Quilt Label
Important Information to Include on a Quilt Label
Below you will find different sections with special sayings and poems for different quilt-giving occasions that will be a great option to give your own label a special touch, but sometimes simple labels with key details are all that is needed.
Simple labels can be useful for labeling quilts that aren’t going to be gifted as well. No matter why they were made – all beautiful quilts deserve a custom label that records some key information about who made it and when at the very least!
The label information suggestions in this section aren’t all essential, but if you can fit some of them in it can help down the line with things like family history and also quilt aftercare.
- Quilt Makers Name (see inscription ideas below for more on this)
- Month and/or Year the Quilt was made
- City or Town the Quilt was made in
- Pattern Name
- Quilter’s name (if different from the person who pieced the quilt – more important for entering quilt show competitions than gifting)
- Quilt washing and care instructions
- Include the recipient’s name in full
- Why the quilt was made (e.g. in celebration of the marriage of… or for the birth of baby…)
Quilt Sayings for Different Occasions
Whether you want to use cheeky sayings or find the perfect words of wisdom to finish off your handmade treasure, you will hopefully find some inspiration below.
Check out the table of contents above if you want to jump to a particular occasion or scroll below to check out all of the suggestions!
Maker’s Inscription Ideas
Whatever quote or saying you choose for your quilt label you will want to ‘sign’ it too.
This might mean just saying Made by [your name] but here are some alternatives:
- Handmade with love by [Grandma, Mummy, Auntie, etc]
- Quilted with love for my [niece, nephew, granddaughter, grandson, etc].
- With love in every stitch from [insert name]
- With love and curse words from [insert name]
- Stitched with love and best wishes from [insert name]
- Made with love and little pieces of my heart.
- Pieced with love by [maker name].
- Handmade just for you.
- Made for [quilt recipient] with love from [maker’s name].
Baby Quilt Label Sayings & Quote Ideas
Whether you are making a baby quilt for your own new baby or you are looking for quilt label ideas for a new grandson or granddaughter hopefully you will find a great idea below!
- For Baby [Insert name], Let the Adventure Begin! [Insert date of birth].
- “Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.” A.A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh)
- Welcome to the World [baby name]! Born [date] at [time].
- How wonderful life is now you are in the world! – Elton John
- Miracles do happen. And one of them is you.
- May you have warmth and comfort always.
- This quilt is a hug from me to you for your whole life through!
- To my Grandaughter/Grandson on their 1st every birthday!
- May the sun bring you new energy by day; May the moon softly restore you by night; May the rain wash away your worries; May the breeze blow new strength into your being; May you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. – Apache Blessing
- Advice for Living: Worry Less, Play More, Hug Often, Love from [Insert name] Always
- For my new [granddaughter, grandson, niece, etc], all my love today and every day.
Wedding Quilt Label Ideas
For all of the suggestions below consider adding the couples’ names and the wedding date as well.
- Wishing you love, laughter and happily ever after.
- Stitched together in marriage, joined together by love.
- Your marriage will have good days and bad. Always remember the whole quilt is much more important than any single square. – adapted from a quote by Rohinton Mistry
- Life is an adventure best traveled together.
- May the love you share today grow stronger as you grow older together.
- It doesn’t matter where you go in life, what you do, or how much you have…it’s who you have beside you that counts!
- All you need is love – The Beatles
- And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make – The Beatles
- Two hearts that beat as one. For [name] & [name] on your wedding day.
- Choose each other, today and every day.
- Sending big hugs to you both on your new adventure together – may your journey never end!
Memory Quilt Label Wording
- In memory of [insert name] whose love and laughter filled our lives with such joy.
- [deceased’s name] loved you with all their heart. May this quilt remind you of this and help you keep him/her close.
- Each patch on this quilt is a treasured memory of a beautiful life.
- A happy marriage is a long conversation that always seems too short. – Andre Marois (memory quilt for a wife/husband)
- The best things in life are the people we love, the fun times we’ve had, and the memories we’ve made along the way.
- Always remember the good times.
- The memories before you are hazy, the ones after you are shattering. The memories of being with you are the ones I will never let go.
- So many beautiful memories, and such a well-lived life. In memory of [insert name].
- You will find some other slightly longer sayings and poems for funerals and memory quilts on this website: http://www.inlovingmemorycards.com/poems.html
Graduation Quilt Saying Ideas
Mark this special right of passage with these fab quotes and sayings. Consider including the name of the school and date of graduation on your quilt label as well.
- The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. – Eleanor Roosevelt
- Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good. – Minor Myers Jr.
- You did it! I am so proud of you and I can’t wait to see what you do next!
- Each patch of this quilt represents a lesson learned in your journey of life. Look how far you have come. May you never stop learning!
- You get in life what you have the courage to ask for. – Oprah Winfrey
- When life gets tough, remember what you accomplished today and know you can do whatever you set your mind to.
- This quilt is a hug from me to you. You will never be too old or too smart for my hugs! Well done today and all my love every day [insert maker’s name].
Quilt Label Sayings for Friends
- No matter where we go, no matter what we do, you will always have me and I will always have you.
- A good friend is like a four-leaf clover – hard to find and lucky to have. – Irish Proverb
- Side by side or miles apart, friends will always be connected by heart.
- Our friendship is stitched with love and laughter, just like this quilt.
- Thank you for being there in the good times and the bad.
- Thank you for being you!
- “We’ll be friends forever won’t we Pooh?” asked Piglet. “Even longer” Pooh answered. – A.A. Milne
- Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you have to do is call, and I’ll be there. You’ve got a friend – Carole King
Quilt Label Quotes for Husbands, Wives & Romantic Partners
What says love more than a quilt made especially for the person you love? Here are some ideas for the label to add that extra touch of romance.
- In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world there is no love for you like mine. – Maya Angelou
- Islands in the stream, that is what we are. – The Bee Gees
- I love you more today than yesterday but not half as much as tomorrow.
- Our life is a patchwork of beautiful moments. May this quilt show you how much I cherish each moment with you.
- Thank you for our beautiful life together. There is no one I would rather spend it with.
- You complete me. – Jerry McGuire Movie
- I love being married. It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. – Rita Rudner
Funny Quilt Label Sayings
- Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts.
- Made with love, cat hair, and a whole lot of cussing.
- Made with love, not perfection.
- This was really hard and took forever.
- This took way longer than I expected, so you’d better pretend to love it.
- If you call this quilt a blanket, I’m taking it back.
Charity Quilt Label Ideas
Charity quilt labels are a bit different to the quilt labels you make for family and friends. You’ll need to check with the charity you are making the quilt for as many of them will have their own guidelines about what you can and can’t put on your label – including your name.
If the charity you are gifting to is okay with you using a short inscription it is best to keep it general and simple as you don’t know who the recipient will be.
Click here if you are looking for charities looking for quilt donations.
- With love and best wishes from a friend you’ve never met.
- Wishing you joy and a brighter tomorrow.
- The sky is full of stars and there is room for them all to shine.
- Sending strength and courage for whatever you face.
- Let this quilt be a hug from the universe when you need it.
- A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars.
- Always believe that something wonderful is about to happen.
- Inhale, exhale, it is well. All of this is part of the story you will tell. – Morgan Harper Nichols.
More Inspiration Ideas for your Quilt Labels
Hopefully, the ideas above will have helped you on your way to the perfect words for your quilt label.
If you still need more places to look for ideas why not try:
- A special poem
- Song lyrics from a favorite song
- Movie Quotes
- Or don’t use words – have a special photo printed onto fabric to include with your label and let a photo speak a thousand words!
Where to find instructions on how to make a Quilt Label
If you are looking for instructions on how to sew a quilt label or get one printed then check out my post on 8 Ways to Label your Quilts and Why you should.
That post includes ideas and instructions for a range of quilt labeling options from multiple ways to get a printed label (including at home on your inkjet printer) as well as hand-embroidered labels. and everything in between.
Whether you are going to hand stitch our label or use fabric pens, I hope you have found just the right words to show your love to your family member and to honor the long time you spent pouring your love into your quilt.
Other posts you might like: