Give your scrap fabric some love!
Scrap quilts are a great way to use up your scrap stash, and this list of Free Quilt Patterns (specially made for scraps of fabric!) are all fantastic ways of transforming your scraps into something extra special.
Whether you are new to quilting or you’ve been quilting for some time, I can bet that somewhere near your wonderfully organized fabric stash is a scrap pile just sitting there, wondering about its fate.
This selection of patterns is the perfect way to use up those scraps, no matter your skill level. These easy quilt patterns will ensure that no scrap goes to waste!
Sometimes, I feel like I live in a scrap-filled cycle.
Your stash is organized and intentional. Then, a notification pings from your favorite fabric group on Facebook, or you come across a too-good-to-miss destash on eBay.
Then, with a small cut here and a little snip there, suddenly you have fabric scraps, fat quarters, a heap of new fabric to use, and scraps busting from your scrap bins! We’ve all been there.
Today, I am here to bring new hope to your leftover fabrics with lots of quilt projects. Here are some of my favorite scrap quilt project patterns that will breathe new life into those bits of extra fabric.
With one of these easy scrap quilt patterns, you can turn your scrapped fabric into a beautiful quilt that was truly made with love!
Whatever the size and amount of scraps you have, you should be able to make a whole quilt – you’ll be surprised!
Table of Contents
Free Quilt Patterns
Below you’ll find seven quilting projects to use up all of your left over scraps. Some of them are quick and easy, others take a little longer but create beautiful quilts at the end!
Hopefully, you’ll find the perfect one to use up all your scraps in this roundup.
I’ll be adding to this list of free patterns as I make more, or you can subscribe to my email newsletter to get all the latest.
Top Tips for Free Quilt Patterns
- Lay your quilt design out with all the bits of fabric exactly where you want them before you start sewing. This way, you can check that your quilt is exactly as you want it before you put needle to fabric!
- Using precut fabric will save you a lot of time in cutting and preparing your fabric, so it you have a bunch of fat quarters or other different fabrics in your scraps stash, consider using these for your quilting projects.
- Choose patterns that use simple shapes, such as squares and rectangles, as these shapes are easy to cut and sew.
Frequently Asked Questions
The good news about making quilts with scrap fabric, is that you can use any size scraps you want. The smaller the pieces, the longer the quilt will take, likewise, the larger the pieces of scrap, the quicker the quilt will come together. If you’re making your first quilt, I’d recommend using larger pieces of scrap to start off with.
To make a good scrap quilt, choose a simple design, especially if it’s your first attempt at quilting. Choose contrasting fabrics that complement each other and keep the lines smooth and clean.
The easiest quilt to make is the 9-patch quilt. It uses leftovers from charm packs or other big pieces of left-over scrap. If you opt for another easy quilt design, choose one that has lots of straight edges and simple shapes.
Other Projects You Might Like:
If you loved this list of free scrap quilt patterns, then check out these other projects that can use up your scraps:
- Heart Quilt Patterns
- Easy Scrappy Hexagon Log Cabin Quilt Block
- Homemade Gifts Made with Scrap Fabric
- Scrappy Fleece Heart Cushions
- Making a Quilt without a Pattern
- Improv Braided Quilt Block Using Scraps
- Baby Colour Book from Scraps
- Making Fabric Cubes – Baby Toys, Door Stops & Ottomans!